Veteran FAQs

Student Veteran at laptop in veteran success center

Collecting VA/G.I. Benefits at UNT Dallas:

Benefits are paid to eligible veterans, dependents, reservists, and service members while they are in an approved training program.

Are you:

  • A veteran who has served on active duty?
  • A reservist?
  • A dependent of a veteran who is deceased or has a service-connected disability?

If so, you may be eligible for the GI Bill and other educational benefits. The eligibility of Veterans, Servicemembers and dependents for benefits is determined by the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you have questions regarding your eligibility, call the VA toll free at 1 (888) 442-4551(1-888-GI-BILL) or visit the Department of Veterans Affairs web site. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to eligible Servicemembers, Veterans, and certain dependents and survivors. You may receive financial support for undergraduate/graduate degrees, vocational and technical training, licensing and certification test, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, and more.

How can I determine my veteran status?

Veterans and active duty military personnel are considered automatically independent for federal need analysis purposes. However, the Veterans Administration and the US Department of Education use a different definition of veteran, leading to some confusion.

I am enrolled in school. When will I receive my benefits from VA?

Once you submit your enrollment information, it must be entered into the system by VA. Because VA is generally overwhelmed with enrollments at the start of each semester, it could take up to 6 weeks to process an enrollment during those times. Your patience is appreciated - we will process all of the enrollments in order by the date received.

If you are receiving benefits under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30) or MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), you must also verify your enrollment at the end of each month in order to receive payment for that month. Benefits are paid after each month of school is completed. For instructions on how to verify your enrollment,

You will generally receive payment within two weeks of verifying your enrollment at the end of the month(or within one week if using Direct Deposit). If you don't receive payment in this timeframe, please contact VA using the Ask a Question tab, or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1(1-888-442-4551).

What if I am receiving Education benefits, am called up, and drop out of school without receiving credit?

·       You are entitled to receive MGIB, MGIB-SR, VEAP, or DEA benefits through the date you dropped out of school.

·       If you were called up under title 10 (federal authority), we will restore the entitlement you were charged for the period that you received benefits when you send us a copy of your orders or DD-214 verifying service under title 10.

For example, if you were in school one month and had to drop out, you keep the money for that period and we will add back a month to your entitlement for you to use at a later time. If you were called up under title 32 (state authority), you don't receive the entitlement restoration benefit.

·       If you have been overpaid education benefits, we will postpone collection action if you are deployed to a combat area. However, once you return from a combat area, you may be responsible for any overpayment of benefits.

Can I receive credit for military training?

As a veteran, active-duty, or reserve status member of the US Army, Navy, or Marine Corps, depending on your basic active-duty service date/basic pay entry dates (BASD/BPED), you may be eligible to receive and Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS) or Sailor/Marine/American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART), available to you at no charge. AARTS and SMART transcripts are fully automated documents, endorsed by the American Council on Education (ACE) and generated by the services, that provide an official list of military courses, occupations, and college-level exam scores completed during active duty that have been evaluated by ACE for college credit.

It is important for you to take advantage of these valuable tools that may add college credit to your program of study, at no cost to you! For more information see the following:

For ARMY Personnel:

AARTS Operations Center
415 McPherson Avenue
Ft. Leavenworth, KS 66027-1373
Phone: 866-297-4427
Commercial: (913)684-3269

DSN: 552-3269
Commercial FAX: (913)684-2011 or DSN FAX 552-2011
Web Site:


For NAVY and MARINE Personnel:

SMART Operations Center
6490 Saufley Field Road
Pensacola, FL 32509
Phone: 877-253-7122
Web Site:


What's the earliest date I can use chapter 1607?

Chapter 1607 benefits may be paid before the date of enactment the law, which was October 28, 2004. Chapter 1607 benefits are potentially payable from December 9, 2001 (90 days after September 11, 2001) for persons who were serving on a contingency operation on September 11, 2001 and who were in school on December 9, 2001

Note: "Contingency operations" as defined in title 10 U.S. Code means "military operations that are designated by the Secretary of Defense as an operation in which members of the armed forces are or may become involved in military actions, operations or hostilities against an enemy of the United States or against opposing military force; or results in the call or order to, or retention on active duty of members of the uniformed services under section 688, 12301(a), 12302, 12304, 12305, or 12406 of 10 U.S.C., chapter 15 of 10 U.S.C., or any other provision of law during a war or during a national emergency declared by the President or Congress."

How do I apply for Chapter 1607?

VA Regional Processing Offices in Atlanta, St. Louis, Buffalo, and Muskogee are accepting applications and supporting documents for Chapter 1607 claims.

If you have never submitted an Education Claim to VA: Submit an Application for "Application for VA Education Benefits" (VA Form 22-1990) and submit any available documents such as your Discharge from Military Service (DD Form 214), copies of orders to active duty and anything else available as evidence of qualifying service. Annotate "Chapter 1607" prominently on all correspondence and documents. If you think you have eligibility under both MGIB-Selected Reserve and REAP, please state which benefit you want. Yes, I know it should be obvious but we are required by law to ask. The statement is as simple as "I request payment of REAP benefits."

If you have previously filed a claim for Education benefits: A new application form is not required. However, you should submit any available documents such as your Discharge from Military Service (DD Form 214), copies of orders to active duty and anything else available as evidence of qualifying service to help establish eligibility for this program. You should also submit a "Request For Change of Program or Place of Training" (VA form 22-1995) which should be annotated "1607." Annotate "Chapter 1607" prominently on all correspondence and documents. If you think you have eligibility under both MGIB-Selected Reserve and REAP, please state which benefit you want. Yes, I know it should be obvious but we are required by law to ask.

I’m already using my benefits at another school. How do I transfer them to UNT Dallas?

To change from one school or training program to another, individuals receiving benefits under MGIB-AD (Chapter 30), MGIB-SR (Chapter 1606), VEAP (Chapter 32) and REAP (Chapter 1607) will need to submit a VA Form 22-1995 "Request For Change of Program or Place of Training" to the Regional Processing Office serving your state.

Individuals receiving benefits under the Dependents Educational Assistance Program will need to submit VA Form 22-5495 instead of Form 22-1995.

Both forms can be submitted online using the VONAPP application

Will the VA pay for me to have a tutor?

Yes, tutorial assistance is available if you’re receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or higher rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring necessary. You can be reimbursed up to $100 per month up to a maximum of $1200.

To apply for tutorial assistance you must complete VA Form 22-1990t, which can be found here. Your school certifying official and tutor must sign the form.

When the form is complete, please mail it to the VA Regional Processing Office that serves the state in which your school is located. Contact information can be found here

For additional help, please use the "Ask a Question" tab at the top of this page, or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

I went to school here a few years ago and then quit school, how do I return to UNT Dallas?

Go to, choose returning student, and fill out Application for Returning Students. Using this application, you will not have to pay the application fee.

U.S. Government Forms:

Many of the VA forms can be submitted online. Below are the most frequently used printable forms. All other printable forms may be found at the Main VA Forms web site. Printable forms should be mailed to the VA Regional Office.

VA Form SF-180 (Request for Military Records/DD-214)

VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Education Benefits)

VA Form 22-1990e (Transfer Benefit to Dependent Form)

VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Education Benefits for Dependents)

VA Form 22-1995 (Change of Program/Place of Training for Veteran/Servicemember)

VA Form 22-5495 (Change of Program/Place of Training for Dependent)


Texas Hazelwood Act and Documents:

The Hazelwood Act is a State of Texas benefit that provides qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children with an education benefit of up to 150 hours of tuition exemption, including most fee charges, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This does NOT include living expenses, books, or supply fees.

 Texas Hazelwood Application

Previously Assigned Hazelwood Act